Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Final decision

I finally decided not to do the 50K this Saturday. I decided that my weekly mileage and long runs are not high enough to support such a long race. My pace has been so slow, and I've been taking walk breaks when I never would have before my injury. MMTR is most important right now, so I need to focus on that. There's plenty of local races to fill that fix.
I'm so worried about my pace. It has been so slow. I can't seem to get out of this mental funk that I have. I am taking walk breaks when normally I would keep running, and even stopping to drink water, when normally I would just slow to jog to drink. I UNofficially start MMTR training on June 1st, but I threw some runs in the training program to cover the lost 50K. I would also like to drop 8 pounds. I want to weigh 140. Lose this spare tire I seem to carry with me where ever I go. Hot southern summer running will help with that, I hope.

5 comments:

Marcy said...

You know yourself the best :-) Sounds like a wise choice ;D

Kevin said...

Sounds like you made the right choice. You dont want to risk injury for a B or C race and risk not being able to run your A race (MMTR)

Gotta Run..... said...

You know that we will be sweating some weight off during the summer training!!

Mental is right... I hate those funks!! My speed work will consist of running with Eric and Jackie. I am being serious. What better way to push yourself than to run with others that are faster. You are welcome to join when we have these mad runs!!

Jackie said...

Cheri 80% is all mental the other 20% is good training. Clear your mind and focus. You can do it. Whenever you want to run let me know. Let it all go and start over! It's all good.

G-Man said...

Definitely the wise choice...without much heat acclimation, you were just asking for injury. Doing a race just because you told yourself you would is bad. I know it feels bad to skip something on your schedule but it's not 'the big one' and as you said, there are plenty of other events to use to get yourself ready.

And don't be discouraged by your times, every year when the weather turns hot, my average run pace drops 30 or more seconds a mile. If you push through the hotter months, you will be flying in November! G