Thursday, March 26, 2009

Gettin' faster

One of my goals this year was to get faster. I didn't set a particular pace, just to get faster. I've been running around in circles every week (I flet like I was walking with a lean everyday), and putting in time with tempos. But I realized something this week. It's actually working!!!
I went for the first 4 miles of an 18 miler with Susan on Saturday, and we averaged a 9:04 pace, with having 14 to do on the trails. We must have felt good that morning. I had to finish the last 12 on the road (yuck!!!), but still averaged a 9:28. After Saturday's events, I'm suprised I could still do that.
I ran Monday night with my friend Robin, and averaged an 8:40 pace. Me? Really? Me? No way. But that's what GPS said. Wow. It felt really good to go faster. I had to go home that night and take Shelton, my almost 8 year old boy, out for a run. He's starting to get into it, too. I'm excited for him, because I know he will be really good at it. He's 7, and people think he's 9 or 10. He has body fat like Lance Armstrong. He's a machine.
I've always talked about those who do speedwork after speedwork after speedwork, only to get seconds faster. To the elites, that's a lot. To the middle/back of the packer like me, not so much. But realizing that having a 9:45-10:00 pace, it leaves a lot of room for improvement. I'm just tired of my runs taking so long. I want to run, but still have time for other things.
I can really feel the difference when I run. My stride is better, my form is better, I pump my arms better, my legs move faster. I felt like someone could look at me and say, "Wow. She's a good runner." I'm getting there.
I pretty much got rained out of my run this morning, although I tried. But I've run everyday this week, and have a 20 miler on Saturday. My hips were sore this morning when I started my run, so the rain was probably God's way of saying, "Not today." So I went back home, and did some weights and abs. As a result, my right shoulder is really painful again. I had a cortisone shot last Friday, and it seemed to help, but it really hurts today. I did really light weights, too. But this is another story.
I might have to break up my 20 on Saturday, since it's Corrina's very first soccer practice. She's turning 4 in April, and I really don't want to miss her first practice. I haven't figured out my strategy yet. It will all work out somehow. It's going to take some creativity to work in long runs around Shelton's and Corrina's soccer. All the games are on Saturdays, and I really like to watch. I'll break them up if I need to.
My race is in 5 weeks and 2 days. Not much longer. It will be my first race since I tried Holiday Lakes in February 2008. I fell just 1 week before the race, severely injuring my hamstring. I put in all the training and high mileage, only to DNF. I'm excited about this race, the Buncombe Trail 34 miler on May 3rd. It will be my way of getting back into the game.

Happy trails

1 comment:

Gotta Run..... said...

Need to repeat the run very soon!!

I have new shoes now :)